Third Party Advertiser Information

A Third Party Advertiser (TPA) is an individual, corporation, or trade union that has registered with the municipality in order to publish advertisements during the municipal election in support of or in opposition to a candidate.

Only the following persons and entities are eligible to file a notice of registration:

  • An individual who is normally resident in Ontario.
  • A corporation that conducts business in Ontario.
  • A trade union that holds bargaining rights for employees in Ontario.

The following persons and entities are not eligible to file a notice of registration:

  1. A candidate whose nomination has been filed under Section 33 of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996.
  2. A federal political party registered under the Canada Elections Act or any federal constituency association or registered candidate at a federal election endorsed by that party.
  3. A provincial political party, constituency association, registered candidate or leadership contestant registered under the Election Finances Act.
  4. The Crown in right of Canada or Ontario, a municipality or local board.

An individual, corporation, or trade union may file a notice of registration with the Municipal Clerk to be a registered Third Party for the election between May 2, 2022 and October 21, 2022 during regular business hours (Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.). The notice must be filed in the prescribed form and must include a declaration of qualification signed by the individual or by a representative of the corporation or trade union, as the case may be.

If a registration is submitted by an agent who is acting on behalf of an individual who wishes to register as a TPA, a letter must be provided at the time of registration which authorizes the agent to register on their behalf. The letter must be signed by the TPA and commissioned or notarized by a person authorized under the Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act or Notaries Act.

Third Party advertisers must book an appointment to submit their registration. To schedule a registration appointment with the Office of the Municipal Clerk, please contact the Clerk’s Office by email or call 905-478-4282 ext. 3855.

A Third Party Advertiser may not incur campaign expenses, accept contributions or begin advertising until the Municipal Clerk certifies their registration.

To file a registration, you must provide:

For persons acting as an agent to file for a corporation or trade union, documentation confirming you are authorized to act on behalf of that corporation or trade union

There is no fee required to register as a Third Party Advertiser for the 2022 Municipal Election.

TPAs may end their campaign by filing a written withdrawal with the Municipal Clerk at any time prior to the end of the registration period for TPAs.

The deadline to withdraw your registration is the Friday before voting day for a regular election (October 21, 2022).

Third-party advertisers can close their campaign and file their financial statement after early withdrawal or at any time after voting day and January 3, 2023.

Town of East Gwillimbury
19000 Leslie Street
Sharon, ON L0G 1V0
Phone: 905-478-4282
Send an Email

Scroll to top